Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Perfect Storm

cli- ché [klee-shey] – noun
1. a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser, or strong as an ox.
2. (in art, literature, drama, etc.) a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc.
3. anything that has become trite or commonplace through overuse.

Well, here we are in the third week of January and while most meteorologists are calling for cloudy days, snow showers, bitter cold, and icy conditions, I've got a forecast of my own. For the next few weeks, expect heavy rain. A heavy rain of catchphrases and mindless verbal expressions, that is.

Recent events have dictated that for the foreseeable future we are going to be inundated with unreasonable amounts of simple observations that will supposedly put us back into correct spiritual perspective. But instead I suspect these "gems of truth" will only force thousands of Optometrists to work overtime treating masses of churchgoers for "Acute Eye-Roll Strain".

Who are the culprits? Our pastors and other spiritual commentators. Their weapon of choice? Their tongues aka (the cliche gun). The ammunition? A triple round comprised of a unique blend of events that are of national interest. Let's take a look at them:

The Super Bowl
Here's an annual favorite of mine. This is the time of year when far too many pastors all but demonize the very act of watching professional sports. They'll remind us of how those pro sports stars really don't care about the fans, lament how many of us have already tuned out their sermons thinking about the game (don't they know we check scores on our cell phones now?), claim that some have made football their God (really?), and my personal favorite: proclaim how Jesus scored the ultimate Touchdown for us on the cross.

I won't even bother rebutting most of those precious gems of wisdom, but I will caution our leaders that comparing our Christian faith to a sports past-time only serves to cheapen the importance of our faith to mere athletic endeavors, and deprive the hearers of more meaningful spiritual instruction and inspiration. And who's to say Christ didn't score many more touchdowns? I wouldn't be surprised to discover the Son of God was quite the half back at East Nazareth High.

The Wall Street Bailout
Honestly, the less I hear about greedy corporate CEOs running businesses into the ground and then being rewarded with "bailout" funds which never seem to make it to their intended destinations, the better off I am. But no, I must be reminded week after week of what a failure any bailout will be. Think I've been watching to much CNN? I probably have, but I've heard this far more over the pulpit than over the airwaves. I don't know too of my peers who have been salivating and rubbing their palms together in anticipation of their slice of the bailout pie. Besides, they're too busy salivating and rubbing their palms together in anticipation of that other "free giveaway", their tax refund. Get a grip everyone, the key word is REFUND. It was yours to begin with.

Anyway, from what I hear in church, I need to get my head out the clouds and stop checking my mailbox for a bailout check and instead "look to the hills......". Yeah, I get it, now let's get back to real preaching and teaching. Now before I get accused of being to cynical, again, I point out that by lending ourselves to these cheap observations, we are robbing ourselves of prime opportunity to minister to people who are truly hurting and needful with words of genuine wisdom and Godly assurance concerning his provision.

And finally,

Barack Obama
Seriously, what did this guy do to deserve the wrath of preachers everywhere? Ok, so a few right-wing nuts claimed that Obama was the antichrist, even going so far as producing a Youtube video linking him to prophecy in Revelations. So, he's a political liberal and vague about his faith. Fact is, most politicians are just like him for fear of alienating an entire voter base. Newsflash - Muslim-Americans have the right to vote too!!

Anyway, I'm proud to say I voted for him.....as President, not pastor. Anyone looking to ANY secular figure to be their moral compass is certainly misguided. But I won't deny the sense of pride and hope (if only momentary) I feel in knowing that my generation has seen the election of the first Black president. As a student of African-American history and one who has counted Dr. King as a personal hero since my elementary days, I see nothing wrong in acknowledging those good things that do occur within our culture and taking time to celebrate such a monumental achievement. So pastors, your perspective is sorely needed, but don't be the rain on our parade. See? Even I can use one once in while.

elder todd

5 comments:

  1. TALKING ABOUT THE PERFECT STORM....EVERYONE SHOULD REALIZE THAT THEY ARE IN LINE FOR A STORM OF SOME SORT.. FACT IS ARE THEY PREPARED TO COME IN OUT OF THE RAIN?...THE ULTIMATE GOAL SHOULD BE MAKING SURE THAT THERE IS A RAIN SUIT AVAILABLE BEFORE GOING OUT ...I MEAN WHY WOULD A PERSON ENTER A STORM WHEN THEY KNOW THAT THE PUNISHMENT CAN BE DEATH ITSELF...ALL OF US HAVE A CHANCE OR SHALL I SAY HAVE A OPPORTUNITY STAND BENEATH THE BIGGEST AND GREATEST UMBRELLA WE CAN FATHOM...WHERE PROTECTION FROM EVERY ASPECT IS GIVEN EVEN FROM SELF DESTRUCTION.TO MAKE IT ALL PLAIN AND SIMPLE...AT THE END OF THE DAY ...ONLY WHAT WE DO FOR CHRIST WILL LAST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd,
    Well if you can't beat 'em...(oops!)

    Don't be too hard on the preachers that use cliches, some might think they are doing everyone a favor by keeping up with current events. It may not be realistic for a busy pastor to research an in-depth sermon topic, like "The Significance of the Israel-Gaza conflict and end-time Prophecies", although that would be nice. I do agree that all public speakers should avoid catch-phrases whenever possible, and be sure to deliver substance over style.

    My best advice, "Lead by Example" young man! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHEN JESUS SCORED THAT ULTIMATE TOUCHDOWN FOR US ON THE CROSS YEARS ;THERE WAS NO WALL STREET BAILOUT...ONLY A WORLD OF SIN...THE GOVERNMENT IS SEEKING TO BAILOUT THOSE WHO SO FOOLISHLY BIT OFF THEIR NOSES TO SPITE THEIR FACE..INVESTING IN EVERYTHING BUT THE WORD OF CHRIST...AS FOR OBAMA; IT THE SEASON FOR AFRO-AMERICANS TO HAVE A FRONT RUNNER IN THIS RACE OF OPPORTUNITY..EVEN SO HE STILL DOESN'T HAVE THE LAST SAY SO FOR MAN.GOD DOES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little internet etiquette is in order here:

    Typing in all CAPS means your shouting, so you don't wanna do that unless you're angry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I apologize for the caps.....thanks for the heads up

    ReplyDelete